Monday, March 21, 2016

Monday Fitness Tip: 80/20

Happy Monday Everyone!

Today's fitness tip is brought to you by Mr. Ben Richardson. If you missed the first edition of Monday fitness blogs you can find it here. There is a wealth of knowledge out there. Everyone has something valuable to add to the conversation.

Here is what Coach Ben had to say on the topic of fitness and why we often get off track,  

"Consistency is the key.  You MUST do SOMETHING, and whatever that may be, (walking, running, lifting, hiking, biking),.... MUST BE CONSISTENT!!.  Then understand that no matter how much of a workout beast you may be, up to 80% of your health results will be connected to the discipline of your plate.  That is, what you do and do not put into your mouth.  80% Diet + 20% Physical Activity = FITNESS"

Coach Ben shared that the mistake he often sees is when we often go very hard in the gym to compensate for what is on our plate. I am very guilty of this and could not look Coach Ben in the eye during this conversation. Often, when an event is coming up, or a holiday, and I know I plan to indulge, I will go very light on meals ahead of time or put in many more workouts than normal. This is a mistake and has never worked for me and I often wondered why.

80/20 is the name of the game! Another area where I have made mistakes in the past is having a cheat day. I can see how cheat days and rewards can be motivating for some so I think they have their purpose. For me, however, I am not disciplined enough for a cheat day so I have to stick to the plan and not stray on any days. I have become honest enough with myself to admit this.

When it comes to consistency, my activity of choice is Zumba! It is fun and tough at the same time. Even when it hurts I am still motivated. In fact, my order of business right now is to put in 45 minutes of Zumba right after publishing this blog.

So, what is your consistent activity? Share with us and let's help keep each other encouraged, motivated, and on the road to improved health! Our stories may be different but our destination is the same. We can do more for others when we take care of ourselves.

Have a fitness tip to share in an upcoming Monday Fitness edition? Email me at michaidanawrites@gmail.com or reach me on Twitter @139focused.


No comments:

Post a Comment