Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Rant Wednesday: Vote or Shut Up


Welcome to the first edition of Rant Wednesday. The goal is to have a forum to voice concerns on things I see and hear. I know we won't always agree and I welcome healthy conversation.

On to today's topic: Vote or Shut Up!

It really gets under my skin when people make excuses for not voting, all the while being very vocal about their opinions on the candidates and government.

Here are the top 3 things I hear that drive me nuts:

1) "What is the point when all of them [the candidates] are bad" - No one is perfect. If you were running for office, you would be made to look pretty awful as well. Many people that say this are pretty negative about a lot of things. I would never tell someone who to vote for but not exercising the right and privilege to vote, in my opinion, is an insult to all who have fought for equal rights for all. At the very least, if this is your excuse, then at least have the decency to not sit around and complain about something you could have influenced. Every vote counts and every vote matters. Why not use all of those vocal skills to help promote positive messages, change, and support of those who are pushing agendas that are a benefit to the people.

2) "If I register to vote, I will get called for jury duty" - This is another one that bothers me. Why not serve on a jury duty? It is another right and privilege. I have been called for jury duty at least six times and I was excused five of those times. I served on a jury once and it was a one day trial. Saying you don't vote so you won't have to serve on a jury, which may not even happen, is just another excuse. If this is your opinion, then to each his own, but again, do us all a favor and don't sit around and complain about the candidates and don't complain about how jury selections are unfair. Not to mention that if there is a valid work reason or medical reason it is easy to report this so you are not required to serve.

3) "I don't need to vote. I will just pray about it." - Okay, I know this is a sensitive one but I need to be honest here. I am a proud Christian that believes in the power of prayer. Should we pray about these things? Absolutely. That being said, God gives us tools in order to accomplish things. Not voting and saying you will just pray is like the person that is able to work, but won't, and says they will just pray for God to pay their bills. It doesn't make sense. God has provided us with a voice and many people have sacrificed for us to use that voice.

By now, I am sure I have ruffled some feathers and my intent is not to insult anyone but I would like to just ask everyone who doesn't vote to really consider why they don't and consider voting. Again, I would not tell anyone who to vote for but do your civic duty and get out there and vote. Exercise the freedoms that our soldiers are still fighting for us to have.

Want to blast me for saying these things or want to share your own story? Comment below.
Have a rant that you would like featured on an upcoming Wednesday edition? Email me at michaidanawrites@gmail.com or Tweet me @139focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment