Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Rant Wednesday: Stephen Curry and Justin Bieber

Happy Wednesday, Everyone!

Today's rant is a 2 for 1 :) The other day I decided to write Rant Wednesday about some wild comments I saw on Facebook about Justin Bieber's new tattoo.

Then, today as I am hearing about Steph Curry's unanimous MVP vote and hearing all the commentary from old players I decided I wanted to comment on that as well.

First, about Justin Bieber's tattoo, I do NOT have an issue with it. I haven't seen the picture but read about all the responses to it. My rant is about one person's response, in particular, that was irate about Justin's tattoo having a religious meaning and proceeded to say how stupid it was and reference the Leviticus scripture about markings on the body.

My rant is not about this guy's opinion but the fact that throughout his response he kept dropping the F word while quoting scripture questioning if Justin has read the F'in Bible and such. For me, it was offensive for someone to refer to Holy Scripture as the F'in Bible, especially when they are supposedly using the Bible to try and make a point.

I included a link here in case anyone wants to see what I am referring to. This guy that made these comments is such a hypocrite. I wonder if he just did this for attention but he is the only one that truly knows.

Second, Stephen Curry has won the first ever unanimous vote for MVP. This is huge and a tremendous accomplishment. Along with this, has come commentary from former players or analysts about how the league is not as tough as it once was and the records being broken are, in part, because of this.

While I am sure there is some truth to toughness, number of greats in the game, etc., it bugs me, just a little, that these comments are always made behind someone achieving something great. I am sure that in Michael Jordan's day of record-breaking there had to be older players who said he achieved so much because he did not have to endure what they had to in their day.

These things could be true, as well, but they do not diminish the effort, determination, skill, and greatness of someone who is achieving these goals. Making these kinds of statements sounds the same as when someone gets a promotion at work and some say it is because they are friends with the boss or because they bring bagels on Fridays.

Why can we not celebrate each other's victories? Steph Curry's accomplishments are wins for the league. He is a likeable guy with massive talent that draws a lot of positive attention.

Am I off base on this? Let me know your thoughts. I am completely open as I could be off base by being a bit annoyed with these comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment