Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Rant Wednesday: Is a compliment that has to be qualified, really a compliment?

Hey, Everyone! Happy Hump Day.

I will jump right into today's rant. Have you ever given or received a compliment that was qualified and is that really a compliment?

For example, have you ever told someone they are cute to be big? Or cute to be dark-skinned? Or, smart to be a college dropout? Or a good person to be a felon? The list goes on and on.

What is up with that?! If someone is something good, why does it need a qualifier?

I once had someone tell me I was smart to be pretty. I wasn't sure if I should be insulted or flattered.

My questions for you are:

1) Are qualified compliments, really compliments?
2) Are you flattered when you receive a qualified compliment, or insulted?
3) How do you respond?

I try to work off of the concept of always assuming positive intent so when this happens I just say thank you and move on. I don't believe people mean any harm when they say these things. But, I also don't believe they are thinking about what they are saying. Is it just that those of us who think about this are being way too sensitive?

What do you think?

Share you comments, experiences, and advice.

Have something to rant about on a future edition of Rant Wednesday? Email me at michaidanawrites@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment